Thursday, September 14, 2017

Airing Out the Secret Basement Lab



Anthony La Penna, billed as Leslie Daniel, in the 1962 Rex Carlton Productions
picture The Brain That Wouldn't Die.


Howdy.

I first utilized the Secret Basement Lab "brand" if you will, about a decade ago, as a fun moniker that expressed in summation the influences and aesthetics that formed the doodles and paintings I seem to compulsively produce. A heavy dose of Columbia, RKO and Universal b-pictures commingled with old radio programs from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, and classic escapist and pulp fiction. I made a few social media accounts to display my stuff, though they are hardly tended to much these days. I also created a website (all self-coded) at secretbasementlab.com, which, also, has fallen into neglect.

The Secret Basement Lab identity has been somewhat co-opted and repurposed since its inception, more familiar now as a brand name for my wife's craft products and less as my personal artistic identity. If you are interested in buying some quality hand-crocheted bow-ties for your pets, or some handmade jewelry from reclaimed wood and other materials, please visit her page here.

From here on out, this will be my central hub. Don't bother looking at any of the social media accounts that might be out there; I rarely check them and don't post much on them anymore. The website secretbasementlab.com will be retooled for the crafts. For those who have any interest in the artwork and musings I might fling at the digital wall–whether they stick or merely slide down, leaving a sickly sticky trail of smeared intentions–this will be the place to find them.

Mad Doctor Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment