Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Moon Pies For Misfits

 


Above is a painting I finished a while back. It's an acrylic on canvas piece I've titled, "Moon Pies For Misfits." You may or may not be aware I have a certain yen for the titular confection, and I guess the picture is autobiographical to a degree.  

Yes, I am aware that the band Hot Water Music has a tune called "Moonpies For Misfits," but I've not heard it. 

I wanted to make sure the scene outside the window was very sunny, bright and commonplace, and the interior, the focus of the picture, was dark and off-kilter. Not sinister, not "bad", just different. The point of view here, without giving too much away or forcing a viewpoint on the looker, is that on any given day, every street everywhere is filled with home filled with people who are out of sight, doing who-knows-what. And sometimes you get a peek into those sequestered little worlds and they can seem like magic, with strange rituals and codes of commonplace all their own. I'd like to think the central figure here, as odd as he may look aesthetically, is happily going about his business being himself, pursuing his own interests, and maybe rewarding himself with a Moon-Pie. Maybe he feels ostracized by the world outside his window, maybe not. But everyone needs a treat now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment