Saturday, July 13, 2024

Sinister Folk

 

"Sinister Folk" collage on paper.

Most of my creative output takes the form of a painting or a drawing, but sometimes I get the urge to harken back to my punk flyer days and do some collage work. This particular one was done sometime around 2018 - 2019. 

I'd been submerging myself in the Finders Keepers records catalog at the time, and reading a lot of folk horror, like Randalls Round by Eleanor Scott and collected works of M.R. James. Growing up in rural-adjacent small town Minnesota, I've always been subjected to, and interested in, folk horror. Lots of legends about haunted fields, farms with grisly backstories, even some odd shenanigans involving long dead relatives. 

I also stumbled upon the pre-solo Terry Jacks material when he was in The Poppy Family, with his then-wife Susan Jacks. Songs like "Shadows On My Wall" and "Where Evil Grows" definitely had a hand in inspiring this cut and paste effort. 

Above: click to hear the eerie and amazing "Shadows On My Wall"


Above: click to watch Terry and Susan Jacks lip sync to 
"Where Evil Grows" on the Kenny Rogers Show, 1971.


No comments:

Post a Comment